The Asian Australian Lawyers Association
The National Cultural Diversity Summit
Cultural Diversity and the Legal Profession: Be the change we want to see
3 October 2020
Time: 1:00PM AEST / 11:00AM AWST
Location: Register to receive your exclusive Zoom invite.
Price: FREE for all members and non-members.
Agenda: download here.
AALA is thrilled to announce the launch of the inaugural AALA National Summit. The AALA National Summit will be held entirely online via Zoom and is free for all members and the wider community.
The AALA National Summit is bringing together leading international thinkers, comedians and performers to critically examine and discuss a road map for Cultural Diversity in the Law.
The AALA National Summit has four key pillars:
- 1. The role of cultural leadership in the legal industry and the wider community.
- 2. The need to improve access to the law for culturally and linguistically diverse communities.
- 3. Reform of the judicial appointment process in Australia.
- 4. The strength and value in pursuing further collaboration between culturally and linguistically diverse lawyer associations and the wider legal industry.
Who is this Summit for? AALA is throwing its doors wide open to the entire community and is giving all people, including students, policy-makers and practitioners, a chance to watch and participate in this conversation. This AALA National Summit is ideal for those who actively work in the legal industry in roles of management, human resourcing and reform and equally for those people who work in the wider community to promote and advocate for intersectional diversity and equal access to justice. The AALA National Summit is an ideal opportunity to expand your networks and ability to forge change.
Asian Australian Lawyers Association is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.
Topic: AALA National Cultural Diversity Summit 2020 - Cultural Diversity and the Legal Profession: Be the change we want to see
Time: Oct 3, 2020 01:00 PM Canberra, Melbourne, Sydney
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 969 7207 8457
One tap mobile
+19292056099,,96972078457#,,,,,,0#,,748210# US (New York)
+12532158782,,96972078457#,,,,,,0#,,748210# US (Tacoma)
Dial by your location
+1 929 205 6099 US (New York)
+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
+1 301 715 8592 US (Germantown)
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
Meeting ID: 969 7207 8457
Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/adwnbC1YT3
For the complete AALA National Summit Agenda and the confirmed speakers and performers,
Download the AALA National Summit Official Program here
AALA is proud to confirm the following speakers and performers:
- § The Hon Tani Cantil-Sakauye, Chief Justice of California
- § The Rt Hon Lord Justice Singh, Court of Appeal of England and Wales
- § The Hon Michael Kirby AC CMG, former High Court judge and AALA National Patron
- § The Hon Darryl Rangiah, Justice of the Federal Court of Australia
- § Victorian County Court Judicial Registrar My Anh Tran (soon to be a judge of the Court)
- § Pauline Wright, President of the Law Council of Australia
- § Mai Chen, Managing Partner, Chen Palmer Lawyers and Chair of the Superdiversity Institute for Law, Policy and Business, NZ
- § Comedian Diana Nguyen
- § Lisa Annese, CEO, Diversity Council of Australia
- § Donald Betts Jr, Co-Founder and Secretary, North American Australian Lawyers Association;
- § Jazeer Nijamudeen, President, Muslim Legal Network;
- § Amani Green, President, African Australian Legal Network; and
- § Sudha Manian, a leading Queensland sitar player.
*Please note that the Official Program is subject to change.